Mini Vinnies is an organisation that encourages young people to turn their concerns into action. At Our Lady of Lourdes, we are proud to say we have our own group of Mini Vinnies.
What are Mini Vinnies?
‘Mini Vinnies’ are children aged between 7 to 11 (or younger) who, with the permission of their parents and the support of their Schools, are encouraged to embark on their first steps as possible ‘Vincentians for life’.
Mini Vinnies are a younger version of The Society of St Vincent de Paul. The group is seen as having, “the potential to significantly contribute to the future of our Society.”
As Mini Vinnies, the children have their own ‘treasured’ Prayer, Pledge and Badge, a dedicated website and a range of bright and colourful documents which guide them in their formative steps – helping and enabling them to become in every sense, young Vincentians – or ‘Mini Vinnies’.
What have Our Lady of Lourdes’ Mini Vinnies been doing this year?
- We work hard to raise money and encourage children in our school to help us to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
- This half term we have been working on raising money for CAFOD’s campaign, ‘Turn Little Fish into Big Fish’.
- We work with members of our community.
- We have developed a prayer space in our school for children to have quiet reflection time during lunchtime.
- We have developed the child friendly version of our mission statement.
- We have spoken to parents about the work we do in school and how we live out the Gospel at school.
- We plan and prepare liturgies together in our group.
Watch this space for our next update on what we’ve been doing!